Rights of frontier workers in the new immigration system
In this blog we will be talking about the Rights and Status of Frontier Workers in the United Kingdom
The UK government has issued guidance on the rights of frontier workers in the new immigration system which will come into effect from 1 January 2021, when free movement within the EEA and Swiss Economic Area will terminate.
Frontier workers are EU, EEA, or Swiss nationals who are working or self-employed in the UK but stay resident outside of the UK. On 1 January 2021, the UK’s new immigration system will be initiated, which will necessitate frontier workers to apply for a permit if they plan to keep their frontier worker status. Irish nationals are not required to do anything to carry on working in the United Kingdom from 1 January 2021.
Rights and Status of FRONTIER Workers BEFORE 1 JANUARY 2021
Frontier workers employed in the UK on or before 31 December 2020 will be able to retain frontier worker status, but will be required to apply for a frontier worker permit by 30 June 2021.
Frontier workers can also retain this status if they have in the past been a frontier worker and one of the following conditions apply:
- The frontier worker is provisionally unable to work due to an accident or illness.
- The frontier worker was employed in the UK but is now involuntarily jobless and is seeking work in the UK.
- The frontier worker is in occupational training while involuntarily unemployed.
- The frontier worker is in vocational training even though jobless, and the drill is linked to the work carried out in prior work.
- The frontier worker is provisionally not able to work as an outcome of pregnancy or childbirth.
- The frontier worker is on paternity or maternity leave and will resume previous employment, or obtain another job, at the end of this period.
Details about FRONTIER WORKER PERMIT
In few months, the UK government will initiate a route to let frontier workers apply for the required permit. Applications for Frontier worker permit will be free of cost and can be submitted online from inside or outside the United Kingdom.
From 1 July 2021, a frontier worker will need a valid frontier worker permit, along with a valid passport or national identity card to come to the United Kingdom. Until 1 July 2021, a frontier worker can enter the United Kingdom using their valid passport or national identity card.
FRONTIER WORKING RULES FROM JANUARY 1, 2021
All non-British, non-Irish workers who wish to start employment in the United Kingdom after 1 January 2021, while continuing resident outside the UK will be required to apply through UK points based immigration system.